Did you know that October is national book group month? Are you part of a book club? I’ve been in one with a couple of friends for years, but I’m excited to try something different; a little more relaxed and still lots of fun! Keep reading for the details on a postal book club, and be thinking about if you want to be involved!
Here’s how it will work:
1. Each person in the group will pick out a book. The book should be about 300 pages (or less) but can be any genre.
2. You will obtain a hard copy of the book (it doesn’t have to be new, though) along with a small, blank notebook.
3. On the first page of the notebook, write a brief bio of yourself, along with why you chose the book.
4. By a specified date TBD, you will mail the book + the notebook to the person whose name & address will be given to you (as the leader, I’ll distribute these). Think of it as a circle of readers.
5. A few days later, receive a book in the mail from someone else in the club.
6. Read the book! You will have a set period of time, about 2 months.
7. On the next blank page of the notebook, write your thoughts about the book. Spoilers are fine, because the next person can choose to read the thoughts at the end. You may write as much or as little as you want; give chapter-by-chapter thoughts or an overall impression.
8. By that round’s end date, mail the book + notebook off to the next person in the circle.
9. Repeat until we’ve read all the books!
What do you think? If you love reading, talking about books, think you can finish in the set time period, and are open to all genres, then this is for you! Leave a comment here if you want to be involved, and I’ll email you.
I’m excited! I need more reading in my life!
[UPDATE 10/22/14: This book club is currently closed. If you are interested in joining, let me know and I will keep you on the list for future groups!]