With Christmas just a week away I’ve been finishing my shopping and sending out my cards. But I’ve been spending so much time and focus on work that it all feels a bit rushed. I was thinking the other day that it’s time for David and I to come up with some traditions for our own little family; some things that will be set in place ahead of time to help us remember and enjoy the holidays.
My family growing up wasn’t completely steeped in tradition, but we had some, most of which we still adhere to today. They are:
- Having Christmas lists prepared and distributed by Thanksgiving
- Going shopping with my dad
- Attending Christmas Eve church service
- Starting out Christmas day eating pigs in a blanket for breakfast
- Opening stocking gifts first
- Getting an ornament from Mom every year
- Someone volunteering to play “Santa” and pass out gifts
- Having a big dinner in late afternoon
- Seeing a movie Christmas evening
Since we still have Christmas with both of our families, I want to come up with some traditions of our own that don’t interrupt the flow of the day. They could involve how we decorate, gifts we give each other, holiday activities we spend time on, or anything else related.
So I’m wondering, what are some of your family traditions? Is there something that you’ve always wanted to try or make a part of your holiday season? Any ideas for our little family?