Question of the Week: My iPhone

March 21, 2011

Welcome to the question of the week, where I put up a poll, hopefully on Monday, about any random thing, and you answer! Sound good?

Okay, so today I need advice about a fairly trivial matter. I’ve been thinking about what to do about my iPhone, and I just can’t make a decision. I have a 3G which is over 2 years old that is running the new software and is therefore veeerrrrryyyyy slllloooooowwww. It is driving me crazy. I am due for an upgrade so I don’t have to pay that fee, and I don’t care about signing a new 2-year contract.

However, we are trying really hard to save money. I’d love to upgrade to the iPhone 4, but as of right now that would still cost me $199 and I can’t justify spending that much when my current phone still works. My other options are to upgrade to a refurbished 3GS for $19 or a new 3GS for $49. BUT. What if Apple releases a new iPhone version in June or July, and then the iPhone 4 is significantly cheaper? Should I wait and see? I don’t know!

iPhone users and lovers, what would you do? Let me know by answering in the poll below, which will close in a week. Any other ideas or opinions, please leave in the comments. :)

[polldaddy poll=4755154]

P.S. I’ve considered giving up my iPhone altogether to save money, but it has become an integral part of my life. I also don’t want another type of smart phone!

Edited to add: The results were overwhelmingly in favor of me waiting for the next generation of iPhones to come out! So I’m working on my patience and in the meantime I’m going to wipe my phone clean and start again to see if that will help it run faster.

Posted in: personal, me

Comments on Question of the Week: My iPhone

  1. 1

    From Sarah:

    It could be late summer before the iPhone 5 is released. I have a 3GS and don’t have any problems with it, but am waiting to upgrade until iPhone 5 comes out, or I might get rid of iPhone all-together and get an iPad. I voted to go ahead an upgrade to 3GS, but now that I’m typing this, I’d say wait if you can, or go ahead and get a refurb.

  2. 2

    From Suburban Sweetheart:

    As someone who was also trying to get by on a slooooooowwwwwwww 3G on the new software, I say upgrade now to the refurbished 3GS for $19 – then, if the iPhone4 comes out at a lower price any time soon, the truth is that you’ve only spent $20 on your 3GS, so you’ll be in a better/less guilty spot to upgrade again, should you so desire. The 3G works but let’s be honest, they’re nearly unusable on the new software – and that’s NOT what you got an iPhone for.

  3. 3

    From Rae:

    I voted for “wait and see” but I think this is the best advice. It is totally worth $5 a month to not be miserable while you’re waiting for the new phone, right?

  4. 4

    From Renee:

    I am in the exact same predicament. I voted for the last option – wait to see if the 4G will be discounted. That’s what I plan to do. However, I have found that if I wipe and restore my 3G every couple of weeks, I don’t run into as much trouble as I used to.

  5. 5

    From Scott:

    I still think that the iPhone 4G will be released later this year, and you will be able to get the iPhone 4 for cheaper. Maybe not quite $50, but definitely cheaper than $199.

    The problem with doing any upgrade now, is it pushes out the next upgrade back another 2 years (assuming you don’t want to pay the excess fees). Yes, the 3GS may be fine now, and $20 or $50 is cheap, but it means you extend your contract while not updating your phone all that much. If you can wait until the iPhone 4 is cheaper, however, you will get a phone that will last the entire 2 year contract extension without difficulty.

  6. 6

    From Krista@CommitmentisLiberating:

    I’m in the same spot and don’t know what to do. I’m thinking I will just upgrade to the iPhone 4 because I don’t want to run into this same problem every time a new release comes out and by going with the 3GS that could happen…

  7. 7

    From Caryn:

    I am having a similar issue with Verizon. I voted for #4. My phone (which they discontinued) was up in Oct but I knew Verizon was to be getting the iPhone in Jan. I waited and now the phone they do have is the 3G so I am debating waiting for the 4G (release date unknown)or going with another smart phone. When new phones comes out, older ones usually go on sale. Usually. It might be worth it to stick it out if your phone still works.

  8. 8

    From steph anne:

    I’m in the SAME boat! I don’t know how much longer I can stand using my iPhone especially when it’s soooo slow. It’s driving me crazy. I’m trying to hold it out until the new phone comes out which I heard is in the spring possibly next month or May. I’d recommend waiting.

  9. 9

    From Jessica:

    I vote for holding off. I know the phone running slow drives you crazy but really, the talk about Apple’s iPhone 5 is coming really soon so I would hold tight. But even if you bite the bullet and want to upgrade now, really, go for the 4. If you’re looking at two years again before a new phone, you will want that nicer one for that time.

  10. 10

    From San:

    I want to get an iphone (finally!) on Verizon. I’ve been due to an upgrade for about a year, but I want to wait and see if they bring out the iphone 5 in a couple of months.

Leave a Reply